Sunday, May 6, 2012

My Pregnancy Journal Link Up - Week 2

My Joy-Filled Life



How Far Along are you: 29 weeks  

Changes this week: There is a baby body part in my ribs continually. I am STARVING all day every day - huge change since I have NOT been hungry this pregnancy, and up until now have gained no weight whatsoever (I have a feeling that will have changed at my next appointment...) Ice chips, particularly ones leftover from a glass of lemonade, are amazingly delicious. I would also love you forever if you sent me a cheesecake brownie.


Medical Mumbo-Jumbo: I passed my glucose test with flying colors. I am anemic - but not too bad, and we are going to make some dietary changes so I don't have to add in more supplements. I think it would still be ok for you to send me a cheesecake brownie though.

Prayer Requests: I'm beginning to get tired and uncomfortable - and I've still got 11-ish weeks to go. This is beginning to have an effect on my other children (can we say grouchy Mama?). Also - see discussion question below.

Discussion Question:  Do you struggle with any fears about pregnancy, birth, and after?  Do you have any wisdom, tips, or advice on dealing with fear surrounding pregnancy and birth?  Let us prayer for one another in our fears.

Oh boy. This has been on my mind this week. As I get farther along, and I begin to really prepare for the birth, all kinds of fears and anxieties begin to rise up in me. My main fears right now? Honestly - nothing to do with Aaron or his health. I thought I would be worried about the chances of Down Syndrome or how we would handle it, but it doesn't even seem to be a factor in anything to me. I can confidently give this over to God and know that whatever happens, it is exactly how it is supposed to be. We have a few extended family members who have Down Syndrome, and I have gotten to see them grow up and see how their parents and our family has been changed and grown, and all I can see is blessings and just such a wonderful spirit in each of those children. This is not a fear for me, and for that I am so thankful to God for giving me this peace. My main fear, is the birth itself. Due to insurance "stuffs" we are limited in our birth location choices, and are having a hospital birth with an OBGYN (who I love btw, its the hospital I'm not so thrilled with...) My first birth was...a nightmare. I do not like to think about it at all sometimes. I was so young and uninformed and it was all just a mess. My daughter was born very ill even though she was full term, and the way the hospital and everyone handled it was so traumatic for all of us. With my son's birth, things were much improved, but with so many lingering fears from my daughter's birth, I was filled with anxiety the entire time and was afraid to speak up once admitted to the hospital for what I wanted the birth to be like, and so I gave in to many treatments that I did not at all want to have, just out of fear. I am not afraid of the pain that will come with this birth, or the health of the baby even though we went through such a terrible illness when my daughter was born - I am afraid that my past experiences will again take root in my mind during the birth, and I will be unable to stand up for myself and for my hope of having a natural birth.


9 comments:

  1. Have you discussed this fear with your husband? He can support you and help you stand up for yourself. He can make sure they know you don't want any pain reliever and it's not appreciated for them to pop in offering it every 5 seconds......Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with Robin. Tell the staff early on that you don't even want them to offer you pain meds!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for commenting! Yes, I have discussed this with my husband several times already this pregnancy, and probably will again several more before baby is born, haha. I think before he was unsure of what I wanted him to do during labor, and so he tried to support me by just letting me make all the calls - unfortunately that wasn't what I needed, and I think we both just weren't anticipating that it would be a probably (I'm pretty outspoken usually, so the idea that I was too scared or intimidated or nervous to say something during labor never even crossed his mind previously). We now have a "game plan", and have discussed the active role I want him to play, and are going through our birth plan with my doctor prior to labor (which we did last time as well) but also, more importantly, with the hospital staff and nurses assigned to me upon admittance at the hospital. Last time we handed them a copy of the birth plan, but I doubt it was even looked at or taken seriously. This time my husabdn is going to go through it with them and discuss it, and ask for them to sign it acknowledging that they have read it and understood our wishes. Also, we are hoping my even more outspoken sister can join me at the hospital. If I'm too scared to say something, she definitely won't be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome that yall were able to talk and come up with a "game plan." I'll be praying that the situation unfolds like yall desire for it too!

    BTW, thanks for the lovely comment on my post! It was so uplifting and encouraging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Kelli! I am with you on the fears on what the hospital staff might do (or not do). I too am 29 weeks (and 4 days). This is our first baby and we both are very excited. My husband is a med-student which has been of great help since he is the first one to dig and find out everything we need to know. from all the different options for birthing to when it is necessary for the Dr. to intervene. But although we have a birth plan and our Dr. is fabulous I still fear they may want to do things their way. I know they are on board with us on everything we have asked, but still one never knows.

    I will pray for you and your husband to stay strong and for everything to be a pleasant experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally understand having those kind of fears! My first birth experience was awful as well, then my 2nd was great since we delivered at a birthing house. Third one we planned to have here at home but ended up having to go to the hospital and it wasn't great either. We are doing a hospital birth this time both for financial reasons and because the distance we would have to go for a midwife but I dread having to deal with all the issues that can come up in a hospital depending on who the caregivers are. The doctor is supportive but I know he won't be there for most of the time. Praying that things will go smoothly though and planning to stay home as long as possible! :-) Hope that yours turns out great as well. There's nothing like having a birth that goes the way you want it to. Enjoyed reading your update!

    Tyra

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's your secret to not gaining weight? Please tell! I always gain about 40-50 pounds during my pregnancies!
    Yay, for passing the glucose test! That always stresses me out; especially since half the time I fail the 1 hour and have to take the 3 hour.
    I always get anemic when I'm pregnant; I'd be interested in hearing about your dietary changes so that maybe I could incorporate some ideas into my diet. I have always just taken supplements for my anemia.
    I love the peace you have regarding Aaron's health; that is awesome that the Lord has given you this peace. God has a perfect plan for Aaron's life - Down Syndrome or not, and you have complete faith in that!
    Gotta love insurance companies!! That is really unfortunate that you are limited in your location choices. But, you have to think, maybe this is God's plan; maybe He wants you there for a reason; maybe He has something for you to learn from the experience, or maybe you have something to teach/show others through your experience. You said, "it is exactly how it is supposed to be" regarding Aaron's health; now apply that same thought and mindset to your labor and delivery.
    Have you discussed your birth "plans" with your doctor and your desire to have a natural birth? If he/she is on board, that's a good start. When you arrive at the hospital, tell your nurse(s) your wishes as well - before you really get into labor. I'm assuming your husband is supporting the natural birth; how does he handle the "pressures" of the medical staff and their interventions? He need to be able to "stand up" to them for your desires when you can't.
    Here's my little testimony for you - after 3 induced pregnancies, that all ended up having epidurals (pitocin is one nasty drug in my opinion), my 4th child was born completely natural, drug-free, and very few interventions (I did agree to have my membranes ruptured when I stalled at 8cm, but no IV, no continual monitoring). It was by far the most peaceful birth I have every had.
    I'm praying that you have the natural birth that you desire. I pray that the Lord gives both you and your husband the strength and courage to stand firm on your wishes for your birth.

    Thanks again for sharing; I'm really enjoying your updates!!

    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a secret, haha. I wish I did! With my first pregnancy I gained nearly 50 lbs! With my second it dropped down to 20-25 lbs ish. This time so far its none, but... I think thats changing, lol. I do tend to pack on most of my weight during the third trimester. This time though, I just haven't been that hungry. I haven't been eating a lot of sweets or anything. We have switched to trying to eat more healthy and natural foods just in general, so I think that has helped. Also, I love soda. I'm sorry, I know some people think this is just awful of me. But I LOVE Dr. Pepper. And I drink it, in moderated amounts, during pregnancy. I just love it. But for the last several months, the taste of Dr. Pepper has made me ill, so I haven't had it. I think that has also helped with the weight. Now it tastes delicious again, so I'm sure the weight gain will pick up now, lol.

    On a quick note about the birth plan - we potentially may be able to have a doula in training who was referred to me attend our birth - FOR FREE! She is accepting limited clients during her training and will attend their birth for free to get her hours she needs. This would be SUCH a blessing to us and I think would give me the added strength and support I need, and would be a good backup to encourage my husband. Please keep this in prayer! I would love for it to work out, and I know if it is God's will, then it will.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God is good. SO amazingly good. I can't wait to update on Sunday. =o)

    ReplyDelete