Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Training Them Up


What mom hasn't pondered this thought at some point (or at many points!), during our days of child rearing?  Even though this is a biblical concept, I think many non-Christian parents would also agree there is definitely something to this - what we do now, what we set as an example and lay in our children's hearts and minds now, will be stored there forever, and will affect them for the rest of their lives.

As a Christian parent, it is of course very important to me to instill a love of Christ in my children, to teach them in the ways of the Lord, and to pray that they will follow Him for the rest of their days here on earth. How often though, do I speak these things to my children, but not example it? I remind them to pray, to rely on God during difficult moments, to obey His laws and mold themselves to be like Christ in all they do. But am I doing this? They hear me say it - do they see me do it?

When I ask my daughter if she prayed before sleep or upon waking, I am often guilty of having neglected to do that myself. I remember a conversation recently where my 8 year old was struggling with her behavior and attitude - being disrespectful and lazy in her responsibilities. She said God didn't help her, that she was alone in dealing with the problem. I asked her if she had prayed about it. She answered yes, but then I thought to ask - how often have you prayed about it? The answer was met with silence. I then asked, how often do you pray and talk to God? ....the answer was not frequently enough! I asked her how God was going to help her or speak to her heart, if she wasn't talking to Him? If she didn't have an active relationship with Him? All the while my heart is pounding... and I feel hypocritical. Why do I expect the same things from God that my daughter was expecting, when I have not been fully in relationship and leaning on Him myself?

So I would ask you today, what are you modeling to your child? Does your child yell and disrespect people? Could it be because you do this too? Is your child struggling in their prayer life? How often do you model prayer for your children? Are your children irresponsible with their chores or school work? How often do your children see you slacking in your responsibilities? Maybe you have a whiner or complainer... maybe you should count the number of times you have griped about something today. I did not like my answers. While it is very important, that we speak to our children about our faith, our beliefs, why we do what we do, and correct them gently when needed, it is so much more that we show them these things, and when we are wrong, to be open with it, to share with them our own failings and struggles, and to begin the work correcting our own hearts.

Just one more reason I need Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment