Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Be Maternity BeBand Review

As a mom, you most likely know what its like to begin to outgrow your clothes during your pregnancy, and have to go shop for something that will fit you and your growing belly for a few months. If you are at all like me, then you dread it. I have a hard time finding clothes that really fit me well, and since modesty is an issue for me in my spiritual and personal life as well, it can often times add to the difficulty. This time around, it seems like the maternity clothing prices are way higher than I remember them being 3 years ago! So this time around, I thought I would check out these belly things I have heard so much about. And then I thought, I should share my thoughts with you!

I purchased the Be Maternity BeBand in black at my local Target store. I chose this band, because it wasn't very costly, it was in a nearby and easy to get to store, and it frankly was the first belly band type item I happened to stumble across. I'm sure you other moms know that sometimes ease of getting something outweighs other purchasing factors! I have been using this product for over 2 weeks now, so that I could give a little more accurate review than just trying it on. I've used it with several different styles of pants and materials, and with different shirt options, so that hopefully I can give you a fairly good review of the product. As an FYI, I'm 17 weeks along in my 3rd pregnancy, and I've got a belly going on, but its not too big. So its a good mid-stage size review.

So lets get started!


An overview - the Be Maternity BeBand cost $16.99 at my local Target, and is listed online at the same price. It is available it black or nude, and in sizes Sm, Med, and Lg. The packaging listed the size chart recommendations, and I went by that when choosing what size I would purchase. The BeBand is designed to use during pregnancy, to help extend the wear time of your pre pregnancy jeans as they get too tight - so basically you can leave them unbuttoned or unzipped even, and use the BeBand to keep your pants up and to keep your tummy covered. It can also be used after pregnancy in the same way as you get back into your smaller sized jeans, or to help hold up loose maternity pants.

So, what was my experience?

Pros:
  • It works well with my unbuttoned and unzipped jeans, and holds them up and covers really very well.
  • Its not uncomfortable at all - basically just makes the normal pants feel like maternity.
  • Has saved me at least a month-2 months of having to buy maternity pants, maybe even more.
  • The black color and fit of the band basically just looks like an undershirt or cami being worn and gives a nice layered look, vs. that yucky blue and obvious maternity pant line that is typical.
  • Easy on, easy off, very easy to care for.
  • I've been wearing it about everyday for 2 weeks and they are holding up great so far!
Cons:
  • It didn't work as well on pants that weren't a jean material. It was just too slippery.
  • Even on jeans there were a few slips, but not frequent. I usually end up tucking a cami into my jeans before putting the BeBand on top. It just gives it a better feel for me personally, and I feel more confident of coverage in case of an accidental slip.
  • I wish the band was a little less stretchy and a bit thicker and more supportive. If you have ever been in dance, it felt more like a dance tight material rather than a spandex type, and I think I would have preferred something thicker (although, its winter, I might be singing a different tune come summer time)
  • Because of the thinner material, sometimes the zipper and button lines underneath were fairly obvious. Again, layering helped with that, and it depended a lot on the shirt I paired with it.
My verdict is - if you need to buy some time before you maternity shop, or really only gain weight in your stomach and not your bum and legs area while pregnant, then it is really a good investment. I don't regret my purchase. I haven't compared it to the other brands out there, and if I found a thicker and sturdier brand I would probably pay a little more and try that next time, but I'm satisfied and will keep using this product for sure. However, if you know it won't be too long before you are going to need maternity pants, I'd just skip this and get the pants. I know some of you might not like maternity pants - I have friends who love them, and friends who hate them, but I wouldn't spend nearly $20 on something that you aren't going to get a good bit of use out of at least.

As a side note - I did try the BeBand out one day on a pair of pant that I own that are actually too large on me - and I won't be trying that again. So I doubt this will be something I use over a pair of maternity pants following baby's arrival.

1 comment:

  1. I tried the BeBand and it didn't work for me as it didn't stay put and would roll up or down. I ended up making my own band that actually stretched the waistline of my regular jeans and it worked great! If you are interested please check out my product at www.maeband.com and like our Facebook page while you are there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete